Pre Workout Supplements: Are they Safe?
Looking at social media might have you worried you’re missing a workout staple as necessary as a sports bra and good shoes: a pre-workout supplement, often referred to as a pre-workout.
A quick look at Instagram shows how varied the term “pre-workout” can be, with chews, capsules, cans of drinks, powders, and colorful liquids in shaker bottles all promising to help you get in a better workout.
In the past, eating a banana or a piece of toast prior to a hard workout was enough. Nowadays, everyone talks about the importance of pre-workout, but is it actually safe?
What is A Pre Workout Supplement?
A pre-workout supplement gives gym-goers an extra boost of energy during their workout. Through the caffeinated boost that comes from the supplement, people can make the most of their gym time by being able to get to the gym and staying strong enough to perform longer workouts with more repetitions and more intensity. A pre-workout can be stimulant-containing or stimulant-free. Typically, pre-workout supplements come in powder form and are mixed with water for the flavor of a sports drink. It can also be consumed in food or pill form. Although many people drink pre-workout on their way to the gym or while working out, it should be taken at least 30 minutes before using the weights or cardio machines.
It is important to understand that virtually every supplement brand out there has its own pre-workout formula, meaning that no two tubs have the same ingredients. Some pre-workout supplements contain carbs, but many are calorie- and carb-free. Others contain caffeine, beet juice, or amino acids such as ornithine, citrulline, or arginine, which are said by companies to dilate blood vessels and increase blood flow.
Sharp Elite Nutrition’s Pre-workout supplement, otherwise known as Sharp Energy, contains ingredients such as Beta-Alanine, Creatine, B Vitamins, L Citrulline, and Caffeine. Each ingredient serves a purpose in your workout like giving you the energy you need, supporting your metabolism, improving your focus, and more.
Are there any side effects to taking a pre-workout supplement?
While some pre-workout supplements are regulated by the FDA, most are not, and safety is a big concern. Sharp Elite Nutrition, however, produces every one of its products by an FDA-registered manufacturer here in the USA.
As with any product or supplement, some people may experience side effects. If there are any side effects, the most common ones are anxiety, nausea, and jitters from the high amounts of caffeine found in pre-workout supplements.
Since tolerance levels vary among individuals, it is important not to exceed the recommended dosage. Basically, since a nutrient is healthy even at moderate levels, it doesn’t translate to being significantly better at high levels.
What ingredients should you look out for in a pre-workout supplement?
Here is an example of some of the more commonly used ingredients that raise red flags:
- A-Phenylalanine: An ingredient commonly used to help muscles heal quicker. Unfortunately, it's hazardous to your health. The ingredient is said to be very dangerous.
- Methylhexaneamine: (aka 1,3-dimethylamylamine or geranium oil) A stimulant commonly found in extreme pre-workouts which can constrict blood vessels, increasing blood pressure, which could lead to short breath, chest pain, and death.
- Ephedrine: the original fringe stimulant was popularly used in weight loss supplements as an appetite suppressant. The FDA banned it in 2004 and now can only be legally purchased in certain medications, such as those used for asthma.
Although there are some ingredients that are ok to use. Here’s an example of an ingredient that you can have in a supplement:
- Glycine: This ingredient is an amino acid. The body cannot make it, but certain bacteria can produce it in the gut. It’s considered safe to use.
- Caffeine: This can exist in numerous variants such as anhydrous, di-caffeine malate, caffeine citric acid blend, etc. are OK too.
- Creatine: The most common variants are monohydrate and hydrochloride (HCL)
Why Sharp Elite Nutrition should be your choice pre-workout supplement
Sharp Elite Nutrition makes sure their fitness supplements are not only effective but also pays attention to their ingredients. These supplements include not just weight loss and muscle-building supplements, but also things like Vitamin C and E that help bolster your immune system. With a special blend of ingredients, every single supplement suits your specific goals and your unique requirements.